Doyle Marks the 11th Anniversary of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Washington, DC -- U.S. Representative Mike Doyle (D-PA-18) observed the 11th anniversary of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by highlighting how the landmark healthcare law has benefited the people of Pittsburgh. Various provisions of the bill have benefited Pennsylvania's 18th Congressional district significantly. Despite persistent Republican attempts to repeal the law with no legitimate alternative and Supreme Court rulings chipping away at certain of the bill’s provisions, the ACA remains the law of the land. Congressman Doyle is committed to strengthening the ACA so more Americans have access to lifesaving health coverage.
“For 11 years, the Affordable Care Act has stood alongside Medicare and Medicaid as institutions that give reliable health coverage to many in need,” Congressman Doyle said. “The Healthcare.gov health insurance marketplace - and Pennie.com in Pennsylvania - established by the ACA have provided access to affordable health insurance to over 20 million Americans. This has proven to be particularly important during the COVID-19 pandemic. As major parts of the economy shut down, millions lost their employer-sponsored health insurance. Access to the ACA’s lifesaving benefits and protections are more vital than ever, allowing people health coverage when they need it most.”
Some of the most important provisions in the Affordable Care Act include:
- Bans discrimination against 135 million Americans with pre-existing conditions.
- Prohibits insurance companies from charging women more than men for the same coverage.
- Expands Medicaid to cover people with incomes up to 133 percent of federal poverty level.
- Bans insurers from placing annual and lifetime caps on coverage.
- Guarantees essential health benefits, including requirements that insurance companies cover prescription drugs and maternity care.
- Lowers prescription drug costs for nearly 12 million seniors.
- Allows young people to stay on their parent’s health insurance until age 26.
The American Rescue Plan signed into law earlier this month and various executive orders issued by the Biden Administration have strengthened the Affordable Care Act and made it easier for those in need to receive coverage. The plan builds on the ACA’s critical benefits by lowering the cost of coverage and expanding eligibility for federal subsidies to millions of Americans. Under the American Rescue Plan’s affordability enhancements for the Affordable Care Act, Pennslyvanians won’t have to pay more than 8.5 percent of their household income for a benchmark silver plan in the Pennie.com marketplace each year.
- Creating significant savings for many who receive their care from the Pennie.com marketplace. A 60-year-old Pennsylvania couple earning $75,000 per year, under the American Rescue plan, will see their premium payments lowered by $1,402 a month.
- Almost 16,000 Pennsylvanians with incomes below 150 percent of the poverty level will now be eligible for plans with no monthly premium.
- Almost 110,000 Pennsylvanians will be newly eligible for receiving subsidies to make their health insurance more affordable in the Pennie.com marketplace.
“I commend President Biden and his administration for their commitment to keeping health insurance affordable for the average American,” Congressman Doyle concluded. “As we mark this important anniversary and the benefits provided by the historic American Rescue Plan, I will continue working to strengthen the ACA and reduce health costs and prescription drug prices.”
# # #