I believe that the United States has been made great by immigrants and I am proud of our history of welcoming those pursuing better lives. Nevertheless, I know that our immigration system is in desperate need of compassionate, comprehensive reform.
In the 116th Congress, I am working to:
- Protect Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA), Temporary Protected Status (TPS), and Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) beneficiaries by making them eligible for conditional permanent resident status,
- Establish humanitarian standards for the treatment of migrants and asylum-seekers at detention centers,
- Ensuring that employers aren’t gaming the system and ignoring qualified American workers.
I am opposed to the Trump Administration’s misguided and oftentimes cruel immigration policies, and I will continue to push back against:
- Funds for a wall along our southern border, a misguided approach to national security,
- The Trump Administration’s ‘zero tolerance’ policy, which detains and presses criminal charges against migrants and asylum-seekers at the border;
- The Trump Administration’s family separation policy, which inflicts lasting harm on children,
- The reduction in refugee admissions for those fleeing terror and violence in their home countries.
Democrats and Republicans must come together and work towards a fair solution to our immigration challenges.